Posted by Laura Hagen, HWFC Member-Owner
GRASSROOTS ACTION IS POWERFUL! is a blog dedicated to American independently-owned, Member-Owned & operated, community food co-ops, their Member-Owners and families.
UPDATE September 16, 2017: Visit the Albany County, NY Hilltowns on a self-guided Farms & Artisan Tour, Saturday and Sunday, September 16-17. Support our local farm families, many of whom are organic or on their way to organic!
Dear fellow HWFC Member-Owners, fellow US food co-op Member-Owners, and those who value and cherish organic food for your family!
Longtime since I posted: life… …and the gardening season… …drew my energy elsewhere! That said, here is really, really important information for your family.
Please watch the nine-part video series “GMOS REVEALED,” spearheaded by the team of Dr. Patrick Gentempo, Dr. Beau Pierce, and film-maker Jeff Hays (Bought, Doctored, Undoctored). The series has already run once – FOR FREE – starting on 08/22/17. It was announced on the LIVE Q&A Session, two nights ago, that GMOS REVEALED will be running again – FOR FREE – starting this weekend (09/09/17). It has already had more than 1 million views worldwide. Please go here, GMOS REVEALED, provide your email, and you should get updates re. the next FREE viewing dates/time.
The GMOS REVEALED team decided to repeat the free viewing, given that so many families in Texas were unable to watch it, due to the hurricane.
This FREE viewing is time limited; it will end on Sunday, September 10th at midnight EST. Again, go to:
Please do an internet search on the term “GMOS REVEALED” to read reviews about the series.
The GMOs REVEALED website states:
“What are they not telling us? FACT: Glyphosate, the chemical originally developed to de-scale pipes, boilers and metals, is now used to KILL plants. What’s more, it is found in 75% of processed foods. Global Leaders in the fields of medicine, law, agriculture and politics share their unique expertise as they explain the complex relationship between bacteria, soil, and your body. GMOs ARE POISON. People and animals that eat genetically modified food crops are consuming high levels of toxic glyphosate herbicide. There is an unholy marriage of toxic Glyphosate herbicide and foods genetically engineered to tolerate large doses of it. It’s silently poisoning our land, food, and US! FACT: The National Center for Food and Agricultural Policy estimates that 85% of U.S. corn is genetically modified. Other widely modified crops include canola oil, alfalfa and sugar beets. FACT: GMOs are banned in 27 countries. Also, in 61 countries foods must be labeled as being genetically modified - but not in the U.S. Discover how Big Agriculture and companies like Monsanto have drastically influenced agriculture in America, leading to corrupt, inhumane and toxic farming practices.”
American Families Need to Stop Buying Foods Produced with GMOS and the Toxic Chemicals Glyphosate, Roundup, and the Class of Pesticides Known as Neonicotinoids
This series (~23 hours) was so phenomenally informative – with explosive new information – to my own family’s understanding of our food supply, hidden GMOs (and “genetic splicing,” “gene editing,” and “genetic silencing”), Glyphosate, Roundup Ready GMOs, neonicotinoids (neonics) and the active and ongoing threat to US honey bees and all pollinators from those neonics – that I am going to formally ask HWFC to buy a copy of the series for viewing by any and all HWFC Member-Owners.
I encourage you to ask your local library to also purchase a copy of GMOS REVEALED. We need to get this info out to more families in our own area.
- Be sure to listen to the interview with Mark Kastel of The Cornucopia Institute, which provides “economic justice for family scale farming.” The Cornucopia Institute is, specifically, an organic industry watchdog organization; I learned a lot from this interview.
We, as food co-op Member-Owners, cannot remain ignorant of the facts presented in this series, given that our business is food …and that we present ourselves as a locally-owned food co-op which actively supports local, organic, bio-dynamic, and sustainable farmers and farm products, and that our policies, as of the January 29, 2017 Membership Meeting, address the GMO issue in our Food and Product Manual, which says, in part:
“HWFC shall require that our suppliers, including distributors, be required to disclose any information that they know about the GMO content for the product we are purchasing.”
After viewing this series, you need to find out which of the food & plants which Honest Weight Food Co-op is selling:
- are genetically-modified?
- have Roundup or Glypohosate in them?
- include wheat, oats, barley, edible dry beans, or sunflowers: which, in the US, are routinely sprayed with Glyphosate as a pre-harvest dessicant? Lentils, peas, non-GMO soybeans, corn, flax, rye, triticale, buckwheat, millet, canola, sugar beets and potatoes which are likely sprayed with Glyphosate as a pre-harvest dessicant?
- have neonicotinoids (neonics) in them: neonics are now being used to coat many of the the seeds which farmers buy
- are not labeled as being genetically-modified and/or as having Roundup, Glyphosate and/or neonics in them?
- include ingredients or “sub-ingredients” which themselves likely (or do) contain GMOs, Roundup Ready GMOs, Glyphosate, and/or neonics.
- There are many, many, many “ingredients” or “sub-ingredients” which may be toxic; please take the time to do your homework.
- leave you thinking – at checkout – that your purchases are safe from Roundup, Glyphosate, GMOs, and neonics – due to the lack of disclosure on the label?
Which of the food & plants which Honest Weight Food Co-op is selling are:
- 100% organic, a label which provides the only means we consumers have right now to be (pretty) sure the food & plants we are buying are free of Roundup Ready GMOs, Glyphosate, GMOs, and neonics?
I cannot answer these questions, but each and every one of us Member-Owners needs to ask these questions, quantify the answers for our families, and take a good, hard look at our co-op’s wholesale food supply, especially the inner aisles with their large percentage of processed, packaged, non-organic, “natural” foods.
While We’re on the Subject: What Is “Organic?”
You had better learn the differences right now! The USDA NOSB made buying organic food unnecessarily complex and burdensome, especially for busy families:
1. “100 percent organic” "'100 percent organic' can be used to label any product that contains 100 percent organic ingredients (excluding salt and water, which are considered natural). Most raw, unprocessed farm products can be designated '100 percent organic.' Likewise, many value-added farm products that have no added ingredients—such as grain flours, rolled oats, etc.—can also be labeled '100 percent organic.'" 2. “Organic” "'Organic' can be used to label any product that contains a minimum of 95 percent organic ingredients (excluding salt and water). Up to 5 percent of the ingredients may be nonorganic agricultural products that are not commercially available as organic and/or nonagricultural products that are on the National List.1" 3. “Made with Organic ______” "'Made with Organic ______' can be used to label a product that contains at least 70 percent organically produced ingredients (excluding salt and water). There are a number of detailed constraints regarding the ingredients that comprise the nonorganic portion." 4. "Specific Ingredient Listings" "The specific organic ingredients may be listed in the ingredient statement of products containing less than 70 percent organic contents—for example, 'Ingredients: water, barley, beans, organic tomatoes, salt.'”
We do know now – from the above definitions – that “nonorganic ingredients’ are allowed in foods labeled as “organic.” Exactly which “nonorganic” ingredients are allowed in foods with the three label designations, which are not “100 percent organic?”
At the USDA Agricultural Marketing Service NOSB website, I drilled down to the regulations governing “processed products,” which is what you and I would find on the shelves of our food co-op, and which would end up in our shopping cart. (I did not review the regulations governing synthetic and nonsynthetic substances allowed/prohibited in organic crop and/or livestock production.)
Here is the USDA NOSB’s National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances, which gives you the information about “processed products.” There are two regulations which govern “processed products:”
Here is §205.605, which governs “Nonagricultural (nonorganic) substances allowed as ingredients in or on processed products labeled as ‘organic’ or ‘made with organic (specified ingredients or food group(s)).'”
Here is §205.606, which governs “Nonorganically produced agricultural products allowed as ingredients in or on processed products labeled as ‘organic.'”
There are a whole lot of ingredients allowed in organic foods which are suspect and which I would not chose to eat!
To my mind, there is so much wiggle room here – which could allow for Roundup Ready, genetically modified organisms in organic food – that I am not going to comment until I contact the Cornucopia Institute, US Right to Know, the Organic Consumers Association, Food and Water Watch, Food Democracy Now!, and others, for clarification.
However, begin your own research. See the Food Democracy Now! and The Detox Project report: Glyphosate: Unsafe On Any Plate Food Testing Results and Scientific Reasons for Concern. Perhaps this report will provide data on GMO/Glyphosate levels being found in organic foods. (In fact, it does, to a limited degree.)
My bottom line: buy “100 percent organic,” 100% of the time, and buy locally-made; support our local, organic farmers! It seems to offer the consumer the safest protection from GMOs, Roundup and Glyphosate.
The “Dark Act” Is In Play: We Have Been Denied The Right To Know
The passage of The Dark Act (“Deny Americans the Right to Know”) or the Roberts-Stabenow Compromise last summer (2016), has given the food industry virtual carte blanche in including Roundup Ready GMOs and GMOs in our (non-organic) food supply and they do not have to disclose that fact on food labels. This is in effect right now; if you are buying non-organic foods, that food could have Roundup Ready GMOs in it…
…and you would not even know it.
The label, on which we are accustomed to reading the “List of Ingredients” to help us make wise food purchase decisions, has been hijacked…
…and, in part, silenced.
Imagine that: a label which does not tell you what’s in the product! Isn’t that the purpose of a list of ingredients on a label: to tell you what’s in it?
Secret, unknown ingredients – Roundup Ready GMOs, Glyphosate – are now being included in our food and we have no way of finding out which foods they are in!
Please go to the Organic Consumers Association (OCA) website to update yourself on this travesty which is now harming American families: Tell Congress: Repeal the DARK Act! According to this OCA article:
“How did corporations convince Congress to ignore the will of more than 90 percent of Americans? The Big Food companies that both sell a lot of GMOs but also have bought up influential organic brands, convinced leaders of the Organic Trade Association (OTA) to do their bidding.
The leaders of this coup were Smuckers, Danone, UNFI, General Mills, and Organic Valley.
Smuckers and UNFI have long held seats on the OTA board, while Danone is represented by recent acquisitions Earthbound Farm and WhiteWave. It’s easy to see why Danone, General Mills, Smuckers and UNFI would oppose labels, given how many GMOs they sell. But why did Organic Valley play along? Because of its business relationships with Danone and General Mills.”
UNFI, or United Natural Foods, Inc., is the primary wholesaler for Whole Foods (now owned by Amazon). It is also the primary wholesaler for HWFC, and many other large, independently-owned, US food co-ops, through their contracts with National Co+op Grocers (NCG).
COMMIT TO WATCHING GMOS REVEALED
The information in GMOS REVEALED is crucial to your family’s health. Take the time and listen to the well-known physicians & researchers this weekend!!
Do you know, positively, that the food, plants, and water which you buy for your family are all free of Glyphosate, Roundup, Roundup Ready GMOs, and neonicotinoids?
Do you know what these chemicals do to your own health? The health of your children?
Better find out.
SOME FACTS PHYSICIANS AND RESEARCHERS IN GMOS REVEALED SHARED:
- 4% of the entire US population had chronic diseases in the 1960s. In 2017, 46% of just US children (pediatrics) now have a chronic disease by the age of 12.
- 1 in 40 children in the US today have been diagnosed with autism. That stat, in the 1960s, was 1 in 10,000 children.
- Did that statistic sink in? 1 child in 40 in the US today today is diagnosed with autism. Estimates are – if nothing is done – by approximately 2040 1 in 2 US children will have autism.
- A doctor has positively correlated the rise in certain auto-immune diseases in the U.S. (diabetes is one example, autism and ADHD are others) with the introduction of genetically-modified foods into the food supply in 1996.
- Doctors revealed that glyphosate bio-accumulates in your own body, every single time you ingest it. This poison also – at the same time – harms your own body’s ability to detox it out.
- US wheat, oats, barley, edible dry beans and sunflowers are routinely sprayed with Glyphosate as a pre-harvest dessicant. Lentils, peas, non-GMO soybeans, corn, flax, rye, triticale, buckwheat, millet, canola, sugar beets and potatoes which are likely sprayed with Glyphosate as a pre-harvest dessicant.
- This use of Glyphosate as a dessicant has nothing to do with – and is a separate issue from – the use of Glyphosate or Roundup in GMOs.
- There is NO REQUIREMENT for the food, agri-business and agri-chemical industries to disclose the presence of Glyphosate / Roundup / Roundup Ready GMOs / neonics in any non-organic food your family eats. Organic foods are not supposed to have these chemicals in them, per USDA NOSB regulations.
- LABELS DO NOT TELL YOU if Roundup, Glyphosate, Roundup Ready GMOs, GMO ingredients and/or neonics are present in that food. The lack of this data on the food label DOES NOT MEAN THE FOOD IS FREE OF THESE SUBSTANCES.
- VIRTUALLY ALL sugar beets grown in the US today are treated with neonicotinoids (“neonics,” which are implicated in Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) and killing honey bees) and are GM, Roundup Ready. White sugar is just one of the products made from sugar beets; 54% of domestically-produced white sugar comes from sugar beets.
- MSG / processed free glutamic acid is often produced by growing GM bacteria on a sugar beet medium.
- VIRTUALLY ALL (non-organic) corn and soy seed in the US today is treated with neonics.
- VIRTUALLY ALL (non-organic) corn and soy grown in the US today is also GM, Roundup Ready.
- Corn products or derivatives are pervasive in our food supply (see here, here, and especially here and here) and other common household products, as well (see here.) Go and check the labels of the processed, packaged food you buy, to confirm this!
- Examples of just some of the food products made from corn are: high fructose corn syrup, cornstarch, some ascorbic acids (vitamin C) and some vitamin Es, vitamin fillers, cellulose, baking powder, citrate, citric acid, Xylitol, Sorbitol, corn meal, Maltrodextrin, Dextrose, Ethanol, HVP, flavoring, Malic Acid, Malt, Malt flavoring, modified food starch, MSG/processed free glutamic acid, Xanthan Gum.
- Corn and soy are among the top feed used for livestock. The chemicals they ingest – the Roundup Ready GMOS, Glyphosate and neonics in (non-organic) corn and soy feed- are ingested by you in the eggs, chicken, turkey, beef and pork, and so on, which you eat.
- Scientists are now asking the question: does Genetically-Modified, Roundup Ready food alter the genetic make-up of humans and our diverse gut bacteria? Do you even understand the ramifications of that possibility? You’re not alone, most of us don’t either. It is very, very serious.
Please go to GMOS REVEALED, and plan to give as much time as you can this weekend to viewing it. Your family, our honey bees and pollinators – and our food co-op – deserve it!
And please support local, organic farm families with your food dollars. They are protecting our soil, water, food and pollinators.
I will do my part and ask HWFC to purchase this series, for use by any and all HWFC Member-Owner families.
© Laura Hagen
The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt.
John Philpot Curran